Canterbury Woods in West Ashley - 6 Facts to Know
- Canterbury Woods is a planned unit development (PUD)community governed by Covenants and Restrictions, enforced by a mandatory Homeowners' Association, that was developed in 1985. The construction began that year with homes built in The Retreat area, one of the earliest subsections of Canterbury Woods, and this section only allows homes of brick/brick veneer or wood siding exteriors. It is tucked away off of Morning Dove Lane and many of these homes border the marsh on Church Creek. The remaining homes in Canterbury Woods only allow homes constructed of vinyl siding or a combination of vinyl siding and brick veneer
- As you pass the sign and landscaped island at the entrance of Canterbury Woods -- Glendale Drive(the first 10-12 homes), Morning Dove Ln, Summer Leaves Court and Sunbeam Way homes were built by Carson Carolina (locally owned and operated)from 1986-198*.
The bulk of the remaining homes were built from 1988-1995 by national builder Ryland Homes, and a few sundry scattered lots were built on at different times through 2002 and another home is just nearing completion in 2018 on the last remaining lot in Canterbury Woods.
- Their mandatory Homeowners' Association fees include:
a private neighborhood pool
a single tennis court, plus
adjacent lighted recreation with another tennis court
a clubhouse for community events and for residents to rent on a first come first serve reservation basis.
- Canterbury Woods' HOA has a very active Board of Directors and ARB Members who strive to keep HOA fees from rising, enforce the covenants and restrictions to maintain and enhance property values.
- Social events including community yard sales, coffee hours, visits from Santa Claus and The Easter Bunny are held by the Social Committee. There are other resident volunteer opportunities in Canterbury Woods on the Landscaping Committee and Pool and Clubhouse Committees
- Mature live oak lined streets, generously sized(1/5 to 3/4 acre) and smaller patio sized lots, marsh front homes and many cul de sacs make this a great "get to know your neighbor" place to live.