5 Tips to Improve Rental Property
Having worked (and working) with clients that are looking to rent, I have come across of a lot of rentals. The rental market maybe on rise but that doesn’t mean you are guaranteed to get tenants. Sometimes tenants are not easy to find as just posting an ad. You have to work for it and be competitive in making your rental attractive to potential tenants. Going to many rentals, I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. That is why I wanted to give some quick tips on how to make your rental stand out:
1. Improve curb appeal – I can’t tell you how many rentals I have seen where the grass is up to my ankles or bushes are overgrown. Already you are losing a potential tenant because they can see the neglect. Improve the landscaping is is a great way to make your rental stand out. Adding flower pots ( especially bright colors), mowing the lawn or edging the lawn along sidewalks really makes a huge difference. Just by doing that you are ahead of most properties!
2. Paint the walls- Painting the walls makes everything look fresh and clean. Recently looked at a rental in Dunes West (Mount Pleasant) it was freshly painted with this beautiful light grey color. My client was really wowed by how nice it looked and how fresh it felt. Out of all the rentals we saw that day, that was her favorite. Using bright colors like white, light grey or even light tan makes rooms feel much bigger. Here is a great article on amazing paint colors to use for a rental: Click Here
3. Smell: This one is huge, the smell is a make or break. I have walked into many rentals where it smelled like dog, cigarette smoke, or even stale. Right there you lost the potential tenant because that is all they can focus on .....THAT smell! One time I had to leave the rental before evening see the whole house because the smell was that bad. I know if people smoked in the property that is hard to get rid of. However, here is a simple solution, put in a scented AirWick plug in. They smell amazing and really adds that fresh and clean feel when you walk in.
4. Clean the floors: Flooring is one of the first few things we notice when they walk through the door. You can see if a floor hasn’t been cleaned in weeks or carpet has been vacuumed. Again, adds that feeling of cleanliness to see a clean floor or freshly vacuumed rug really stands out.
5. This is a huge pet peeve of mine, put the toilet seat cover down. No one wants to walk into the bathroom and see into the toilet. Especially if a house has been empty for a while, it just looks dirty. Small things like that make a HUGE difference.
If you have any other tips, would love for you to share in the comments section!
Hope this helped those looking to rent out their property! For those looking to rent, please feel free to reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or my cell (917) 325-8033.