The Avid Rehabber short term lease versus long term lease
The Avid Rehabber short term versus long term renters
There has been a lot of press discussing the legitimacy of short term renters aka Airbnb,VRBO (Vacation Rental by Owner), Home Away and others. J and C Home Buyers have tried both short term renters and long term renters and feel a lease is a lease whether it be Year to Year, Month to Month or Day by Day. So far the odds we have found as far as the protection of our assets (the properties we own) have weighed very heavily in favor of booking guest/tenants on the Airbnb platform. The damages we have sustained in our Short term lease properties have been zero, the damages in our long term rentals have included:
- Replacement of carpet (we opted to replace it with hard wood flooring for the ease of cleaning and durability).
- Counter top damage (we found a product that gives the counters a granite look as we discussed in a previous blog, the durability is amazing).
- Recovering damaged furniture.
- Complete Condo repainting.
- Replacement of bath fixtures due to abuse, to name just a few.
The guests we have leased our day to day properties are typically booking for long duration's full weeks and months and have been excellent Tenants, far better than some of our Year to Year Tenants. As business owners with a City Business License and a South Carolina Real Estate license, we have abided by all laws in the City and State as well as been non discriminatory. We have attained the distinction of Super Host the top designation given by Airbnb and have turned no on down on our rentals. I will go into more detail in future blogs. As follows are a few pictures of our newest Condo: