Lowcountry Breast Cancer Awareness Month Events
October is here which means it's not only time for trick-or-treating, but also the time to be charitable and do whatever we can to support the fight against breast cancer. It is officially breast cancer awareness month and undoubtedly (well, hopefully) you have seen a plethora of pink so far. While the pink bracelets and ribbons are fantastic ways to show your support, for residents of the Lowcountry, there are some other options to get proactive during this important month. Here are just a few:
- Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure: Formed in 1982, the Susan G. Komen organization has been helping to fight breast cancer for decades now. Their 5k Race for the Cure is on October 21st this year and will begin at Family Circle Tennis Center on
DanielsIsland. Get some exercise that weekend while helping a phenomenal organization.
- Jerry Zucker Ride for Hope: The MUSC Wellness Center will be hosting its 10th annual Ride for Hope on November 5th this year (admittedly not the right month but the right cause). Enjoy an indoor riding class from some leading cyclists while contributing to a much-needed cause.
- Making Strides of Charleston: A more relaxed option than the other "races", Making Strides is intended to be accessible to almost anyone as it is meant to be a walk, rather than a run. Head to North Charleston Riverfront Park on Saturday, October 28th to participate in this great event.
- Breast Cancer Awareness Event @ VA Medical Center: Head to the Charleston VA Medical Center on Monday, October 23rd for a health fair and panel of speakers to learn more about breast cancer and what is, and can be done to treat and prevent the disease.
- Ask the Expert East: On October 19th, Roper St. Francis Healthcare in Mount Pleasant will host a radiologist to speak about 3D mammograms, screening, and answer questions. Excellent educational opportunity.
A few easier ways to donate...
- Tanger Outlets Pink Savings Card: Get a $10 Pink Savings Card and receive 25% off at participating stores in Tanger Outlets. Proceeds will go to local Breast Cancer beneficiaries.
- Diamonds Direct: Month of Giving: For the month of October, "In support of Komen South Carolina, Diamonds Direct will donate $100 to affiliate for every engagement ring or special line sold Oct. 1st -31st."
- Sticky Fingers Ribhouse: Sticky Fingers has several ways for you to contribute to the fight against breast cancer this month. Working with the Susan G. Komen Organization, Sticky Fingers is offering everything from pink drinks to pink shirts to support breast cancer awareness this month.
- Donate to the Susan G. Komen Organization
- Donate to the National Breast Cancer Foundation
- Donate to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation
- Donate to The American Cancer Society
- Donate to the National Breast Cancer Coalition
- Donate to the Conquer Cancer Foundation
There's clearly no shortage of ways to help, so find one that works for you and get out there and show your support for this incredibly important cause!