Fun Thanksgiving Facts
Gobble Gobble! Thanksgiving is only a couple of weeks away and while I was conducting my annual recipe hunt the other day, I just happened to stumble onto some fascinating Thanksgiving facts...ok, maybe not fascinating but I found them pretty interesting and I hope you do too!
- According to the National Turkey Federation (yep, not making that up, there is actually a Turkey Federation, website is http://www.eatturkey.com/) 88% of Americans surveyed eat turkey on Thanksgiving - that's a bunch of birds!
- The average person consumes 4,500 calories and 229 grams of fat on Thanksgiving! - but don't worry, you can work all of that off the very next day racing to get that low priced TV at Wal-Mart
- Ever wonder how Tom Turkey got his name? Well, apparently Thomas Jefferson was not a big fan of Thanksgiving being a National Holiday so it is believed that Benjamin Franklin named the male turkey "Tom" out of spite. - Now play nice boys!
- Pumpkin pie is the most popular pie for Thanksgiving and over 50 million (let that number sink in... 50,000,000) are made every year. - HOLY PUMPKIN PIE!!!!!
- Apparently only male turkeys Gobble, female turkeys, called hens, cackle - there is a joke in there somewhere about the women in my family but I'm going to leave that one alone.
- Ok, so this one BLEW me away (figuratively of course) Big Bird from Sesame Street is really a TURKEY...ok, well sort of...the Big Bird suit is made from turkey feathers, so technically that makes him a turkey, right?
- oh, and Black Friday is the busiest day of the year for plumbers....
So, there are just a few Turkey Day facts that you can share at your feast this year and I'm sure you will be the hit of the dinner, after the turkey of course!
Happy Thanksgiving y'all!