Time to Sell? Take it to the Stage.
Posted By: Shay Edney
In: Design and Staging
Date: Thu, Oct 20th 2016 8:41 am
Have you ever visited a model home and left with the fever? You know what I’m talking about. You love the home so much you can’t get it out of your mind and you have to have it right now! There’s a reason for that and a large part of it is because of staging. Someone put in a lot of time, planning, and effort to make home look as visually appealing as they can possibly make it. Studies by the Real Estate Staging Association found that homes staged before listing received an offer in just 23 days on average. That’s 90% faster than those who waited months after listing to bother staging.
A properly prepared and staged house stands out against the competition. Here are a few practical tips that will help you sell faster and for more money:
- De-clutter: Moving is the best time to go through everything you own and see what you can donate, keep, throw away, or sale in a yard sale. I’ve done this for my last two moves and it made everything so much easier. Ensure your home is de-cluttered before you have the first showing.
- Professional cleaning: A home that appears professionally cleaned relays the message of “pride of ownership”. Anything less and you are putting yourself in a position for potential buyers to leave with the wrong impression.
- Walls: Neutrals or pseudo-neutrals. My favorite is lighter shades of muddy grays. I also love pseudo-neutrals but you have to be very careful. These are actual colors such as blue or green but the key is to make the shade so pale that it can pass as a neutral. The walls are the largest visible surface in a house and can make a huge overall impact.
- Furniture: This is where the fun comes in. Pay close attention to scale and room layout. You can have the nicest furniture in the world but if it’s the wrong size and not laid out properly, it will look awkward. Too small or not enough furniture will look like you need to go furniture shopping. Too big or too much will make the space feel smaller than it really is.
- Accessories: This is the icing on the cake. Add a large area rug with an eye-catching pattern here, a large mirror there, pillows with a pop of color, floor to ceiling curtains and BAM!
- Exterior: Fresh mulch, pull weeds, nicely manicured lawn and trimmed edges, pressure wash if needed. Go the extra mile and plant a few eye-catching flowers, window box or something nice in the entryway. Get noticed as local passer-buys have a look.
Put everything together and you have an eye-catching presentation that will get some attention and make an impression. Call me today if you’ve had any thoughts of selling or if you need help with staging.
REALTOR® AgentOwned Realty