Moving with Motivation to be Clutter Free
Posted By: Betsy Martin
In: 5 Easy Tips for Preparing Your Home to Sell
Date: Thu, Jul 6th 2017 8:41 am
Most of my posts have been discussing the art of decluttering your home. However, what has been avoided is the “elephant in the room” THE GARAGE!! You know what I am talking about…the “catch all”! So where do you begin…deep breath and let’s dive in…
- EMPTY & SORT
- Remove all items and completely empty the garage.
- Take a survey of each item and just as you have decluttered inside, ask yourselves if it has been used in the past 12 months?
- Designate a “donate” and “throw out” pile for items you no longer want...those leftover large contractor bags will come in handy.
- CLEAN & TIDY
- Sweep entire garage floor or use the leaf blower to rid of dust and dirt. Use the hose or pressure washer to wash away dirt and grim.
- Use broom to sweep cobwebs from all corners, rafters & surfaces.
- Wipe down all surfaces such as light switches, garage door openers, and benches.
- If possible use a magic eraser to wipe marks or dirt from walls. If motivated, a quick coat of paint can make a huge difference.
- ORGANIZE & STORE
- Store seasonal fall/winter items (skis and winter boots) using storage bins or a large Rubbermaid cabinet.
- Hang bikes, camping gear and/or beach gear from hooks or peg boards.
- Create work zones for different tool items used for yard work or repairs
- Create storage zones for different items like kids sports gear
- Identify where you need additional storage shelves and storage bins for items. Consult a contractor or do it yourself to build shelves and cabinets.
- Most importantly, have a place for everything and everything for a place!
- A CLEAN GARAGE IS A HAPPY GARAGE!
Now, stand back and admire your garage…it never looked so good! You can now use it for what it is meant to be used for…your cars!
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
"NEVER TOO BUSY FOR YOUR REFERRALS!"