What is a craft beer? A craft beer brewery has an output of less than 6 million barrels a year. The brewery has to be independent; less than 25% of the brewery is owned by a non-craft beer brewery. A craft beer aficionado seems to have replaced the enophile. The wine world has Sommeliers and the certified craft beer expert is a Cicerone.
If you’re into craft beer, Charleston has several excellent breweries. Local brewery host tours and have tasting rooms. On a lazy day, catch an Uber and take the brewery tour. A few local restaurants are built around their own brews.
Here is a list of some of the local places to see:
- Edmund’s Oast 1081 Morrison Drive Charleston
- Holy City Brewing 4155 C Dorchester Rd. North Charleston
- Palmetto Brewing Company 289 Huger St. Charleston
- Coast Brewing 1050 Second St. North Charleston
- Revelry Brewing Company 10 Conroy St. Charleston
- Cooper River Brewing Company 2201 B. Mechanic St. Charleston
- Low Tide Brewing 2863 Maybank Highway Johns Island
- Ghost Monkey Brewery 522 Wando Lane Mt. Pleasant
- The Frothy Beard Brewing Company 7358 Peppermill Parkway North Charleston
- Westbrook Brewing 510 Ridge Rd. Pleasant
Charleston is well known for the culinary scene but the craft brew movement seems to be on a roll!