5 Most Important Steps to Take in Case of a Hurricane
Posted By: Liza Valero
Date: Thu, Jun 7th 2012 11:00 am
It is Hurricane Season again, and for those of us on the East Coast, it is time to start making a plan of action "just in case". Whether you this is your first hurricane season or your 100th, it is always good to brush up on the basics.
If a hurricane threatens your area, here are the 5 most important steps you need to take:
- Evacuate if told to do so by the authorities
- If you do not have storm shutters, nail 5/8" marine plywood over your windows. Do not use tape Move outdoor furniture indoors
- Fill your vehicle's gas tank and Get emergency cash
- Fill you bathtub(s) with water (to be used for flushing toilets or cleaning the home)
- Turn your refrigerator to its coldest setting
There are some things you can do before a hurricane is looming:
- Arrange a meeting place for your family away from your home (in case of bridge closures or some other event that would make it difficult or impossible to get to your home). Have a plan ready for how you are going to evacuate. The main roads are not always the best solution, look off the beaten path and know ahead of time where you are going.
- Consider installing storm shutters
- Trim tree branches and bushes away from your home
- Keep coolers available
- Take or review a home inventory
- Organize your important (insurance,etc) documents in a water proof container
To learn more about protecting your family and your possessions from Hurricanes and other disasters, Contact Us Today for a Full Insurance review or check out AgentOwned Realty's Insurance partner's website, Wally Burbage and Associates Insurance.
You can also get all the new posts on our blog delivered to your email by SUBSCRIBING HERE.
See for all Charleston SC homes for sale or use our Property Search